Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

Yeah baby its May Day. That day when its ok to ring people's doorbells and run away. Although I guess you should leave a goody basket or something. No random doorbell ringers for me today but I guess that's ok, I still have way too many chocolate eggs from the Easter Bunny mail carrier. So lets talk about candy since I have been consuming it a lot lately. Did you know Chocolate has no calories? Ok well my brain seems to think it doesn't and I therefore eat it like it doesn't. My favorite this time of year is Cadbury Creme Eggs. I don't really know why since they make my teeth ache with sugar pain. But I love them, I do, I can't help it. So chocolatey and full of fake egg stuff. Yummers.

But if we are going to talk chocolate I have to point out that my all time favorite has to be Ritter Sport Bars.
I am especially fond of any of the versions with hazelnuts white, dark or milk chocolate. All are goodness in square form. I do know why I love these though, because its family in a chocolate bar. I had the privilege of spending three of my little kid years in Germany where such delicious chocolate was not hard to find or afford. I also have a mom who believes in desert every night and our desert often consisted in chocolate- please note that a sixth of a Ritter Sport bar is not all that fattening so its not like she was fattening us up for the slaughter or something. So whenever I have one of these I feel like I am home.

But back to eggs, because where would a blog about chocolate and Germany and eggs be without Kinder Ueberaschungs Eier! Thats Kinder Surprise Eggs.
Which are banned by the consumer product safety commission because kids are stupid and might eat the surprise which is contained in a plastic bubble within the chocolate egg. I will never understand this. The candy is delicious and the toy is almost always awesome, either a figurine or a vehicle to assemble or a bizzare contraption or a puzzle which isn't so awesome but sometimes it is like when my mom brought kinder eggs home from Mexico right after we got our cat and the puzzle Josh got featured a photo of a cat that could be Shatner's twin. Anyway the point is that these are available all over the world except the United States because here, parents don't teach their kids to not eat things inside the bubble in their eggs. WTF? Everyone else can handle it why can't we? Anyway also of note is the shear volume of different toys in these eggs. I have probably seen two of the same thing three times in all of the many many eggs my siblings and I have eaten in the past 22 years. And the toys are really cool, and detailed, and well designed. Anyway if you can find them get them, it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. frau always gave you guys a piece of chocolate after dinner? she's sweet and good at teaching restraint :)

    hahaha, i love that those eggs are banned here. that does make me want them more.

    ReplyDelete